(Sorry, but any comments saying that this game is ripping off Hakuouki will be deleted because I’m super tired of hearing that any kind of Shinsengumi-related media is copying Hakuouki. Seriously not having it…)
I hadn’t been too excited for the past few Voltage games, but I absolutely love period-themed games!! (I hope Voltage could make a Taishou themed game someday…) I could date Hijikata and Okita a million times and not get tired, haha.
You are a doctor (in training?) and working in a clinic your father left you after his death. After an unfortunate event and being saved by the men with blue coats, you lose the house and clinic to a fire, and you must stay with the members of the Shinsengumi.
Okita has always been my favorite in Shinsengumi-related media, but I’m also excited for Hijikata… Being voiced by Sugitan doesn’t help either!! I love Sugitan!!
Some things I’ll comment on:
– Honestly, I wish they kept the title as the transliteration of the Japanese title… “Era of Samurai” doesn’t have the same impact as “The Woman Love by the Shinsengumi”…
– The sprite effects seemed to have leveled up, including zooming in and out and the “effects” when they’re in battle. A little cheesy, but it’s refreshing to see something different, hehe.
– The coin system… Looks like they’re making it similar to their social games where you must buy an in-game currency and use the currency to buy the stories. They cost the same as any other main or sub-story, but with this new system, you’re now restricted to playing on one device. (I usually hopped between my phone and tablet, so looks like I can’t do it anymore for newer games…)
– No more transfer codes. Looks like you can register your data with your email and your own password. One one hand, it’s nice that using your email is easier to remember than a string of random letters and numbers. On the other hand, if you lose your email/password, you can’t restore your purchases, and you lose all your coins. I’d rather have my purchases linked to my iTunes account, but they’re just seriously modeling this after their social games…
– The opening movie is voiced, and not with an awful dubbed voice (coughs, Eisuke), but with Sugitan!! They even kept Sugitan for the ending movie, which surprised me but made me very happy.
– The art is beautiful, and I had already become a huge fan of this artist after Star-Crossed Myth. I’m glad Voltage is working with this artist again!
So the coin system isn’t sitting well with me, but I’m too happy about the use of seiyuu that I’m not as bothered as I thought I would be, haha. I hope Voltage won’t screw this up…
I bought Hijikata’s story immediately (haha), but I hope I’ll be able to finish it in a timely manner… I haven’t been able to really play games outside of social games lately, so here’s to hoping for some alone time soon so I can catch up with my hobbies!! Hehe